Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Lessons learned

It was a decent first run last Saturday with Shannon and while a little sore yesterday, I felt ready for another 2-miler on the treadmill today.

Unfortunately, about 1/2 mile into it, my problem right calf felt leaden. Another quarter mile and the calf felt like it was under a broiler. I pushed to the 1 mile mark to see if I could work through the pain.

But, I learned from last year and when the pain only escalated, I stopped running. I switched to walking up a steeper incline and the searing pain stopped. I now have ice packs on both calves.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why the pain came back / on after just a few miles on Saturday and today. I stretched, I warmed up slowly, I rested between the runs.

Will cut out the planned Thursday run and test out the calf again on Saturday with a 2-miler.

No comments: