Monday, June 30, 2008

Numbness

The Charles River run didn't happen...I overslept that morning but did manage to squeeze in two workouts in the teeny weeny hotel gym. Bummed as we don't have a reason to go back to Boston any time soon so not sure when I'll be able to make that storied run.

Even though I regularly tell Shannon not to force make-up runs, I did a make-up run today. I needed to put that 6-miler. I won't lie; I fear not putting in enough long runs and then dying on the race course.

Today's run was ugly, long, painful, lonely and more importantly, done!

Breakdown of the miles:
Mile 1 / both shins are tight and revolting with each stride
Mile 2 / feet are heavy and ankles twisted awkwardly a few times
Mile 3 / "Jesus, why is this so freakin' hard?"
Mile 4 / "Jesus, I can't feel my left butt cheek. Serious? My butt is numb?"
Mile 5 / fastest mile of the day; worked hard to keep pace up (13.5 minute / mile)
Mile 6 / losing it towards the end; forgot what letter came before "q" in the alphabet

Am proud that I ran (okay, at least jogged) up all the hills and stuck with it even after I lost my mind and feeling in my buttocks.

No comments: