Saturday, July 12, 2008

8 (but really 10) miles

Shannon and I started our long run today not in the best of spirits...we started off with reasons / excuses for not being thrilled for the 8-miler to come.

We did loops around the house so that we could come back for water and energy gels.

The first three miles were mild. A bit of shin pain but it went well. We kept a slow pace and took in each other company's and the foggy air.

A couple of Clif Shots later, we shuffled through our next two-mile loop. I had achy hips today, perhaps because it was a relatively hilly course for us. We inserted a few more walking breaks; it was getting harder to keep up a conversation and keep running at the same time.

After a final pit stop, we started off the last three miles with the intention of doing run / walk. It was a good decision for me. It helped with my fatigued and while those hills had me huffing like the big, fat wolf, I was able to finish well.

It was suppose to be an 8-miler but we actually covered about 10 miles. Those extra two miles are due to distances I normally walk for warm-up / cool-down. Since we took walking breaks and did runs / walks, I figured that I'd count all the mileage. (Shannon, forgive my math!)

Today's run proves to me that my body is able to handle this distance, especially at the slow pace we held today. I feel good mentally and physically. I feel I will be ready for the race if I keep up with the with training schedule.

I feel, dare I say it, confident in my legs right now.

1 comment:

Grace said...

AWESOME!!!Tomorrow is officially my first day of pre-training, which means I will attempt to get my heart beating above basal (resting) rate. My replacements have been hired and now it is time to turn into a running machine, ok-ok a younger Elvis and not the deepfried Elvis.