Saturday, June 21, 2008

No face-plants

Shannon and I hit the gym today for our longest run yet, 5 miles.

We both did well. We learned that you should not turn to talk to your running partner while the treadmill is going because you could possibly lose your balance and do a face-plant on the treadmill. Luckily, Shannon has lightening-fast reflexes and righted herself before skidding off.

Shannon started off at a 12 minute / mile pace and I thought...wow, really? That's where I usually end up but we're starting with that?

As usual, I found running with Shannon to be super helpful in pushing me. I did the first half of the mileage at the faster 12 minute / mile pace and felt relatively relaxed.

I felt comfortable enough to push myself to do negative splits so did the next mile and a half at a 11:30 minute / mile and the last mile at a 10:54 minute / mile pace. I was also motivated to go faster just so we can finish up. 5 miles is a lot!

I am surprised that I was able to hold my "fast" pace for 5 miles. Thanks, Shannon, for setting the pace!

No comments: