Sunday, July 27, 2008

It started out well...

Shannon and I did the Wharf to Wharf today, with the intention of sandwiching the 6-mile race with 2 miles before and 2 miles afterwards to reach our 10-mile training run goal.

The first two miles to the start of the race went by quickly and was comfortable. We were both fighting mucus issues -- Shannon with her cold; me with my cat allergy.

The race itself was harder than I expected. There were more hills and less water than I would have liked. At mile 3 (our mile 5), I started to wonder if I was as trained as I had thought. I was sucking wind up those hills and was feeling defeated.

By mile 4, I realize my body was responding well but I was mentally tired. I wanted to walk. Better yet, I wanted to be in bed, warm and snoring.

By mile 5, I wanted to be done. I had to work at not quitting today. Was it the lack of food? sleep? sun? I pushed on, telling myself I needed to do this to be ready for Disney.

Given my water breaks and lackadaisical motivation, I was surprised to finish the race in 1:15 hours! That's a 12 minute pace! WOOT! I am so proud of my pace! WOOT! WOOT!

As for the last 2 miles of our 10-miler today...long story short...I lost Shannon, giving her bad directions because I didn't realize there are TWO Capitola "streets". We probably walked over 2 miles looking for each other and for Leland.

I'm still in happy shock at my pace. My body was booking it while my mind broke down today. I think this is why you do long runs, to train both the body and mind. Looks like I have some more work to do...

No comments: